Music magazine research
In recent years we have seen an escalating fall in the popularity of music magazines. Ranging from many factors for example the rising number of illegal down loading or a decrease of advertising sales. Therefore I have taken time to research how music magazines are being effected in the current economic climate. The text I have read for myresearch are concerning magazine sales in the recent years.
'Stuart Speaks Again'
One of the articles I read and I found gave me insight into how I could try to increase sales of my own music magazine, was an interview with editor of Kerrang! and Mojo Stuart Williams. Where he describes his strategy for creating a dominant music media brand and how the press compete with the increasing 'lads mags' industry.
When he is asked how the music magazine fit into the larger magazine empire that is Emap he says they 'relatively independent' with funding that comes in from Emap. I found this a good point as it keeps the magazines specialised meaning they have more focus on music, still appealing to music lovers. The music magazines also compete amongst them selves for the same artists giving them a further push to be the best.
Another point I found interesting was that he only produced magazine he would be happy to put on the shelf in 15 years. By making the magazine into some what of a collection creates readers to purchase the magazine every month keep sales up. For my magazine I could make it very bold and individual so that it is not only purchased for content but also for the eye and satification.
As my magazine will be competing with many others it will not only need to have an edge over the current magazines, look good but will also need a remarkable content. Stuart Williams asks himself about his magazines is 'how does this £3.90(price of Q) enrich myself?' I will also now ask myself this question and will follow out on much research to find out what will enrich the magazines making it the favourite. I will do this with market research, questionnaires, polls, looking at charts i shall also give away free gifts making the magazine feel more enriching.
Declines
Music magazines where once an extremely exciting and popular way for people to broaden their knowledge and awareness on their favourite music and what is happening in the industry. However in recent year’s music magazine sales have seen a major decline.
“IPC media’s weekly rock magazine NME suffered y ear-on-year circulation slump of 17.3%”
Since 2009:
Uncut down 13.3 %
Mixmag down 13.4%
One of the main reasons for this is globalisation and the expansion of the internet. The internet has enabled everything to come quickly and freely to consumers. As a result the music industries access different outlets easier to promote music. Therefore it's not just magazines that can supply the public with news and information on music and artists but it can also be done though radio stations, TV, online magazines, artist's official websites, review sights and even social networking sights like Twitter and Facebook.
With cheap internet has come downloads, for many of which means free, illegal downloads. Illegal downloads have over taken the charts and magazines as it cannot be calculated or monitored as to what is being downloaded. By being able to download your music it means many aren’t purchasing. Accumulating a drop in magazine sales as people no longer purchase magazines to help them expand their horizons about music before spending money on a CD.
Due to the recent credit crunch, magazines sales have declined as many don’t have the time or money to spend on music magazines, for instance NME cost £2.30 which is over £9 a which consumers do not have enough disposable income to use on magazines when presented with a choice of many other sources to get free information.
Can music magazines increase there sales again? And are they doing something wrong? I shall create a questionnaire to gather some ideas which I can apply to my own music magazine to help ensure its success.
No comments:
Post a Comment